Friday, June 25, 2010

Never Walk in the Jungle Without a Machete


After my third unsuccessful attempt at fishing, I tried to find better fishing grounds. From an aerial photo of Playa Brava, I remember seeing another beach that seemed just over the ridge from where I was fishing. Thinking that the ridge was not that high and the other beach was close, I decided to scale the seaside cliffs with my fishing pole and bucket of bait with tackle. After  two yards of a near veritcal climb, I did not see the other beach nor any end to the cliffs. It was too treacherous to go back the way I came, so I decided to head away from the ocean and hopefully find a trail back to the ecolodge. Well another 300 yards with nothing, I decided to just head down the side of the ridge. It was so thick with vines and undergrowth that I could not travel on the ground. I literally traveled on the top of the vine canopy 5 - 10 feet off the ground. The undergrowth was so thick that I could walk on top. Several times I fell through the canopy to the bottom and I would have to climb a tree to get back on top of the canopy. It took me two hours to cover a distance of probably 1/2 mile. I learned my lesson though: never walk in the jungle without a machete. This picture has nothing to do with this story but I thought it was cool.

2 comments:

  1. Well....I'm officially jealous....I wanna tarzan some shit!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt,

    I would like you to know that I am really enjoying your writings. You are teaching me a lot about my country. I have never visited any of those locations. The little I know is just theory; I never had the opportunity to experience any of them.
    That includes the Museo de Oro in Bogota. Hard to believe? Well, when I was in the 10th or 11 grade, I was supposed to go in a field trip to the museum, however, some of us, made it far as the front door and long enough to roll call and then . . . to the movies!!! Yes. We were in trouble; I was suspended from school, and in big trouble with my mom.
    The only exception could be Botero, I saw some of his work at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana earlier this year, and a couple of his paintings at the Encore in Vegas.
    I’ve seen some of the graffiti in Bogota, since it has been an ever present demonstration of presence in the culture and social environment of the city. It is not always political; you could find graffiti that answers to any of the current events in the country.
    I really appreciate your effort to keep in touch. I like all you pictures. Me encanta la del mico que toma ron con coca-cola! Take care.
    Looking forward to your next entry.
    Humberto says Hi! He is also having fun reading your writings and looking at your pictures.

    ReplyDelete