Sunday, August 15, 2010

Roosters, Aguardiente and Lost Wages = Cockfights

I have been to many cockfights and even participated in a few, but they never included roosters. They usually took place in a bar or at a party and involved several single men and one available woman. I have won many cockfights and I have lost a few to superior cocks, but it was not until last night that I attended my first real cockfight. In the small pueblo of Venecia, at a roadside restaruant, I lost $20, made some new friends and went home with splattered blood on my jeans. I will let the pictures tell the rest.

Men keep their cocks caged-up until they are ready to fight.





















Cocks are chosen based on looks and experience. Bigger cocks are usually prefered but size does not always matter. Money is given to the owner of the cock who then takes that total sum and wagers it against an opposing cock for the same sum.

Cocks are then prepared by fastening sharp, metal spears to their talons. The spears are held in place by training tape and candle wax.






























The two cocks compete by pecking and jumpkicking each other`s face, neck and torso. Since they are wearing metal talons, this gets really bloody. The winner is usually determined by the last cock standing. If one cock pins the other cock, the referee will turn over his hour glass and give a count similar to boxing 10-count but a little longer.







  I lost $5 on this cock I shall call Morti. Although he is not with us anymore due to a stab wound to the heart, his memory will live on in my blog. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment